Mölln‘s museum collection was established in 1889 and as such it is the oldest in the district. In two historical buildings at the Market Square, you will find the Town Museum, which holds special exhibitions, as well as the Till Eulenspiegel Museum. Both buildings are part of the town‘s history and have been carefully restored. The Eulenspiegel Museum is situated in a halftimbered house dating back to 1582 and shows various aspects of the life of Germany‘s most famous jester. Visitors can learn about Till Eulenspiegel and his most famous pranks handed down from folk tales. They can even watch his newest acts of mischief on Till‘s own TV channel „Till-TV“.
Interestingly, the fact is that Till and his pranks live on in Mölln to this day… The history of the town of Mölln is portrayed in the historical Town Hall. The second oldest Town Hall in Schleswig-Holstein highlights important moments of Mölln‘s history. Throughout the centuries, Mölln has been located along major transport routes. The key factor of the town‘s prosperity was the Lübeck‘s salt trade on the Stecknitz Channel from 1398. A variety of short films depict the salt trade, the first use of the chamber lock on the Elbe-Lübeck-Channel in 1900, and the life of the salt master from Lüneburg in the 16th Century.The medieval rooms of the Town Hall are often settings for special exhibitions and events.
White gold – an exciting story
Mölln was mentioned in a document for the first time more than 825 years ago, in 1188. According to old texts, the Slavic town name means „place near murky water“. This may have been created by the great number of salt transports which left the water murky. However, nowadays the town shines with the typical red of northern Germany‘s clay bricks and the flair of cobblestone pavements in the small alleys, as well as many architectural splendours. Mölln was given town privileges by Lübeck in the 13th Century. At that time, the St. Nicolai church was built, as well as many residences around the historical Market Square and the house of the town captain. The town captain was sent to Mölln from Lübeck. The advantages of being located right at the Old Salt Street brought numerous merchants and promoted Mölln into a commercial town. In addition, the completion of the Stecknitz-Delvenau-Channel, a precursor to the Elbe-Lübeck-Channel, in 1398, opened another route for the salt trade. Mölln was made a maritime
lien to Lübeck by the dukes of Lauenburg for more than 324 years between 1359 and 1683. After the house of the dukes
had died out in 1689, the sovereignty changed constantly.